Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Life In The Broadway

The first time I stepped my feet into a theatre was when I was studying in Southampton which was at the The Mayflower theatre located at the heart of city. As I remembered it was the Tribute theatre of Michael Jackson called 'Thriller and it was back during Spring 2009. As a first timer, to me it was a very good show. The actors and actresses are so damn good as they are practically not just good in acting but are also excellent in singing. The show does not just limit to acting but it was filled with all-time favourite songs from the Jackson 5 era including a few songs after Michael left Jackson 5 to become a solo artist.
Since my first experience was a very good one, I kept looking for the next show(s). As a student, my spending is limited to only certain things and I could not just watch as many plays as I want. Hence I thought that the next one should be better than the first! It was summer 2009, The Apollo Victoria Theatre London just started playing 'Wicked', the untold story of the witches of Oz. I said to myself, "I must go watch these green creature or I'll regret my whole stay in London and in fact being in the UK itself". With two other friends, off we went to see the Wicked!
Oh boy, I did not regret my decision for watching this play! The whole 1 or maybe almost 2 hours were magical to me. I felt like I was in the play the whole time and not just sitting there being one of the audiences. The set, costumes and backgrounds were fantastical. I can still remember the big dragon, the swings, the fancy costumes and everything else. They simply bring the audiences closer to the show and made us (or at least me!) wanna jump to the stage :D.
I guess that's why it was called the hit musical with brain, heart and courage.


My quest continues as I was invited by my office colleagues to watch the 'Tributre Theatre Tun Dr Siti Hasmah' by our famous director Erma Fatima at Istana Budaya. The story lies on "Behind every great man there is a great woman". 'Tributre Theatre Tun Dr Siti Hasmah' tells us more about Tun Dr Siti Hasmah, the former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s faithful wife and one of Malaysia’s first female doctors. It was a great show played by many of our local talents such as Lisa Surihani, Eja, Nazim Othman, Esma Daniel and Syanie.
Aimi, me and Farah, among the girlfriends I have at work. No nice pics with the boys.

Wearing a black sateen peplum top with lace sleeves from Zawara matched with Jovian ready-to-wear Jezzebel skirt in black & ivory stripes also Waffaa plain scarf in soft green.

This time around it was a different experience for me because it's my first ever local-produced play. I know I should not expect that this play would be as the same level as the Broadway shows. The Broadway, they are so mad, they practically practiced for one specific show for few hundred times. They are the masters. I totally believe that they basically can act while sleeping haha. Those who have watched Smash on AXN would basically understand how those actors go through to be on Broadway -_-.

Anyway, a big kuddos to Erma Fatima for her effort and contribution to let the world know how big were the sacrifices made by a person called a woman. Lisa Surihani's acting was almost perfect except that she was struggling with her lines a few times. As for Eja, she was magnificent and I believe she's meant to be in the industry. Can't wait for any shows in the future! :)

1 comment:

DalilaMian said...

hello dear..im blogwalking..if sudi let's exchange link ye.. :)